House Bill 2187
Cash Transaction Cards
NOTICE TO ALL RETAIL CUSTOMERS
The state of Texas requires that you apply for a cash card (scrap metal seller identification card) and that we mail it to you BEFORE you can be paid in cash for items other than steel (tin, mixed iron, long iron, short iron, stainless steel), electronic scrap (computers and computer related materials) and aluminum cans. This means that on your first visit, if you have copper, wire, brass, batteries, aluminum, regulated steel, or other regulated materials, you will be paid with a check that will be mailed to you.
You may apply for a cash card on your first visit. The cost is $2 which covers our cost to make and mail the card. Cards are processed and mailed at the end of the day, and the next day you will be able to be paid in cash. So, you may opt to return the next day for cash payment on your first load. Otherwise, a check will be mailed to you.
TEXAS CASH CARD LAW
An application for the issuance or renewal of a cash transaction card must include:
• The name, address, sex, and birth date of the applicant;
• The identification number from the applicant's personal identification document;
• A digital photo that accurately depicts the applicant's entire face taken at the time the applicant completes the application;
• A clear and legible thumbprint of the applicant;
• The signature of the applicant; and
• The signature of the individual approving the application on behalf of the Recycler.
A Recycler may approve an application upon receipt and issue a cash transaction card; the Recycler must mail the issued card to the address provided on the application for the card. A cash transaction card is not transferrable, is valid for up to 2 years, and must include:
• The name and address of the Seller;
• A digital photo of the Seller that accurately depicts the Seller's entire face; • An identifying number unique to the individual card; and
• The expiration date of the card, which may not be later than 2 years from the date it was issued or renewed.
A Recycler must preserve for 2 years:
• Each application for a cash transaction card the entity receives, and
• A copy of each transaction card the entity issues or renews.